Thursday, May 31, 2012

Fiction Packet #1

This blog will be on the fiction packet we had to read for Thursday class. I will focus on two short stories I found interesting and why. The first story was titled Misdemeanors by Sherman  n Alexi, I found this story to be quite humorous. On page 6 on the right side at the bottom the poem starts off by saying the old man tells me he's a tough ex-con but his wife....tells me he went to jail for robbing a bowling alley. The fact that this old man wants to be known as a tough ex-con is hilarious to me, but the way the wife tells the story this old man had nothing better else to do then to commit a petty crime. I like the fact that the writer didn't call the old man crazy being that he clearly is. I just thought it was pretty funny and I love the way the story was written. It talks about the old as if he was a fool to even think he can rob a bowling ally that only has coins in the register. He also didn't have a good get away driver cause they passed out overall I loved it.

The next short story I enjoyed was the first one titled Survivors by Kim Addonizio. For me I got the idea that this was two individuals of the same sex who was dying of a std and one of them had a rough time growing up by not being accepted by their family. Now both of them are wish that they die first so they don't have to deal with each others left over packages. I thought this passage was little sad, but it sent out a real message that it shouldn't matter what your sexual orientation is you deserve to be happy. It makes me sad that people judge other based on their sexual orientation and it should not be that way because we are all human. I don't know the exact message the writer is trying to get out, but I can show respect for them even talking about the subject. It was a interesting story to read and I hope can say the same.

The last story that caught my attention was walking the baby to the liquor store on page 5. Now when i first read it I thought okay here is a man who enjoy being a father and wants to spend quality time with his child. Then its like he is constantly talking about going to the liquor store and starts to appear like he has a drinking problem. This may be because he's a single father raising a child and doesn't have the help that he needs so he cover his issues by drinking. The story just caused me a lot of confusion and I'm not sure how to take in all the information and material that's being given out. I enjoyed the whole packet and the writers have interesting topics their discussing.




1 comment: