Tuesday, May 29, 2012

2nd Response to Ed Roberson

Reading the second half of City Eclogue Roberson poems started to have more and more reasons behind them. I liked the fact that the way the poems were written you can interpret them in many different ways.  I Like the way we discussed them in class by going around asking everyone how they interpreted the poems of their choice. One that stood out to me was on page 113 "The "State as Body" Aspects of Eunuch Rule" it was stated that the poem was referring to a socio-path and the feeling that they receive when they kill. The poem like painted an image of a person that was willing to kill till the death of there self. I thought it was pretty insane and scary at first cause it states "I feel want as want. to kill..............My life around   my head   'til I no longer have body    with which to want". That to me tells a whole story without even stating the whole poem itself. This was a creative way to tell a story with a image of what is being talked about.

There were many part of this entire book that I would love to touch on but that's just not possible for now. A poem that really made me think really hard although it wasn't the only one was on page 117 called  Untitled. I didn't understand why he gave it that name being that the poem to me talks about a vacation that seemed remarkable. I wonder what made him call it untitled...was it because he couldn't think of anything else and he just wanted to write a poem for no apparent reason. Then at the end of the page there is a little passage he writes at the end which is confusing because I'm trying to find the relationship between the two but I can't. Although i do like the language used in the poem and it make it sound kind of relaxing when reading it. It makes me want to go on a beach for a vacation and just have fun in the sun. I can see why he untitled it because the poem itself is explanatory. I enjoy expanding my thought process and thinking outside of the box when reading these poems.

I realized that maybe Roberson wants us to interpret his poems in different ways especially in the second half of the book. The whole book is so creative in my eyes, the way he brings to life different aspects of situations. Like the poem on 115 titled The Counsel of Birds it goes into different like the sound an alarm will make to the sound of a bird that sings like a telephone. It just go into depth of life creatures and the amazing sounds that each one makes and the sounds changes from one place to the next. I maybe exaggerating the poem a little but everyone has their own thoughts on it. Then towards the end I felt as if he were talking about the birds dying out just like if the alarm has no batteries we won't hear a ring, then the birds that die we lose the music to our ears. All around the poems are spectacular and they help you imagine what Roberson is trying to tell us but in a creative way. I enjoyed the discussion of this book and everyone else thoughts about it.

1 comment: